Fed up of visiting your bank branch from your work place every time you need something? Well, then you are in the right place. Now, link your Aadhaar card to public and private sector bank accounts of India through both internet banking or offline method to obtain benefit from different government schemes. Though the online process might seem hard, in practice it is actually the very opposite—simple, effortless and energy saver. It’s not mandatory, but there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t opt for this facility.
AC also serves as identity proof in the spheres of education, employment, to receive medical facilities or even as social security and public issues.
First and foremost, its most significant and beneficial utility is that you can link it to your bank account. If you have the facilities of net banking you can do it very easily by following a few uncomplicated steps.
Secondly, it provides added security and the opportunity to gain access to various government schemes and benefits. It can be registered for free without any charges.
Reasons for linking the Aadhaar Card to Bank Account
• LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) subsidy is a significant matter in urban households, especially middle-class and lower middle-class families. The LPG subsidy amount will be directly credited to the bank account with which your Aadhar number is linked. The process of getting an appointment with the authorities to get the above-mentioned credit is simple and hassle-free.
• You can get pan-India access to your bank account if the AC is linked with it, irrespective of the city you are registered at. Thus, online transactions like money transfer, ATM usage while traveling across the country are now at your fingertips.
• If you are a student and have received scholarships from the government or any government related agencies, then the scholarship amount will be directly transferred to the bank account linked to your AC number.
Follow these steps to link your bank account to your Aadhaar card through e-banking
• First, you need to make sure that you hold an active online bank account with which you want to link your Aadhaar number.
• After logging in, click the option ‘Update Aadhaar Card Details’ or such similar instructions, depending on which bank website it is.
• You will need to provide your AC details such as the number. Then verify the details visible on the screen before submitting. The bank will save the date in its database.
• On successful processing of the details, you will receive an email or SMS on your registered email id or mobile number respectively from your bank. That marks the end of the process of linking.
Steps to Link Your SBI Bank Account with Your Aadhaar Card Online
First you need to get your SBI Bank account activated online. Once that is done, follow these steps to get your AC linked easily:
• Log in with your user id and password to online banking on the SBI website.
• Once the page has loaded, go to the ‘My Account’ tab.
• You will find a menu on the left of the screen. Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar Card’ option after locating it.
• Select your account number and enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number in the designated field before submitting.
Offline/ In‐person Method
• You will need to download, print and fill in this form, as well as taking a photocopy your AC.
• Attach the photocopied Adhaar to the form, and carry the original AC with you for verification purposes.
• Take the completed form, photocopied card, original card and your banking passbook with you to the SBI branch and speak to an advisor.
• The advisor should be able to link your Aadhaar and voila! The process is complete!
Linking Through Short Message Service (SMS)
• Ensure that your mobile number is active and associated with your AC.
• Compose an SMS message as follows: UID[space]Aadhaar number[space]account number.
• Send the message to 567676 to complete the process.
Steps to Link Your Aadhar Card with Your ICICI Bank Account
One of the most reputed private sector banks of India, ICICI Bank, has branches in all major cities in the country.
• Log in to your ICICI online account.
• Click on the ‘Customer Service’ option and go to ‘Customer Service Requests’, then ‘Bank Account Service Requests.’ This will allow you to navigate to ‘Account Details.’
• Next, in ‘Account Details’, fill in your 12 digit Aadhaar number and such other details required as per instructions and you are ready to go.
• Visit your local branch or download online from this link and complete the Linking form. Below is an image of the form:
• Attach the photocopied card, or alternatively the printed e-aadhaar card to the form.
• Present your completed form at any ICICI branch.
• ICICI Bank officials will verify your details. On successful completion, your accounts will be linked.
Steps to Link Your Aadhaar Card with Your HDFC Bank Account
• Log in to your HDFC online banking account and select the ‘Link Aadhaar Card’ Option.
• Once selected, this will redirect you to an online form.
• Fill in your details carefully and press ‘Submit’.
• If the verification process is successfully done, your bank will inform you about the link.
Visit your nearest HDFC branch after filling in a simple form. You can download the form from here:
Or you can also collect a hard copy of the form from the bank branch.
The offline process is the same for every bank. You need to submit the filled-in form and a photocopy of your Aadhar card. Do not forget to carry the original card and your bank passbook for verification. The bank officials will take care of everything else and link your account with your AC upon successful verification.